• question-icon

What causes frequent urination while treating UTI?

Posted on Wed, 19 Jul 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Dear Dr Rynne
I am a 53 years old male who had a radical prostate cancer surgery a month ago.I am off catheter for 20+days and had a cystoscopy 12 days ago.I was told I could contract a UTI despite the precautions I would take ,and here I am with it! My family doctor gave me the first time Cipro but then she changed it to Macrobid 5 days course of therapy because it was the right one to the bacteria found in the urine culture. After 5 days (today is the last one) the urge and frequency to urinate did not go away ,yet ,may be worsened .(please note that I had the burning sensation mildly and only occasionally in the past).
Do I still have a UTI or something else?
Your kind response would be of my most appreciation
Thank you
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Worsening of symptoms indicate worsening of infection.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using Healthcaremagic to post your health query.
I read carefully your question and I understand your concern.

Since your symptoms are not getting better, then that means that you continue to have an UTI and looks like it may be getting worse.

A treatment of UTI in men for just 5 days is very short to clear completely the infection. And Macrobid is not from the first choices to be used for this type of infection in men.

One antibiotic that I would recommend is Levofloxacine 500mg, once/daily for 14 days. This antibiotic is one of those that are very effective for a UTI in men and also it is rare that a person is resistant from them.

Since you will need a prescription, I recommend that you see your doctor again and suggest him if he can give this antibiotic, according to your antibiogram too.
Drinking plenty of fluids is very important.

Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you have any question or concern.

Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Klarida Papaqako 28 minutes later
I will follow up with you after my visit to the doctor.
Thank you so much for help.
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
Glad to have been of help

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Glad to have been of help.

If you don't have other questions for now, please kindly close and rate the answer.

Dr. Papaqako
Dr. Klarida Papaqako