Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes frequent urination when diagnosed interstitial cystitis?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016
Excellent

Urologist
Question
Am having urinary frequency. Was diagnosed with interstatial cystis and am having a treatment that requires catherization of 3 meds until bladder calms down. This bout has lasted 3 months with no improvement and still sensation to go every 2 hour. Could I have been misdiagnose by urologist and need to to treated with pills for frequency instead? Frequency is my only symptom. She did do a cystoscope that was negativ. Checked for infection each time of treatment. . Have another treatment scheduled for XXXXXXX 3---any questions I could or should be asking??
Tue, 29 May 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be duet to what is called as Senile Urethral Stenosis

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .

Based on the facts that you have posted the frequency for urination that you have could be mostly due to what is called as Senile Urethral Stenosis.

In females as the age advances there is generalized atrophy of Genito Urinary
Organs that also involves urethra causing narrowing of urethral passage .This leads to incomplete emptying of bladder every time you pass urine resulting in to some of amount of urine to remain in bladder what is called as Post Void Residual Urine (PVR).Urine formation is a continuous process and bladder is getting filled up with urine hence it gets filled up earlier than a normal time which is the cause for frequency of urination .

I would suggest you discuss with your Urologist to calibrate (Dilate)Urethra and doing self catheterization every day at home for 3-4 months .This modality if followed religiously does help to resolve the symptoms .

In the mean time you can take bladder antispasmodics like Oxybutinine twice daily,

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: What causes frequent urination when diagnosed interstitial cystitis? 2 hours later
Dr did mention possible urethral dilation--will discuss that with her again.
After reading about interstatial cystis it mentions pain and i am having none. Hate to continue treatments of catherizations every week (and an hour drive) if treating the wrong diagnosis

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
No pain No interstitial Cystitis

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .

Absence of pain while urinating rules out Interstitial Cystitis .

You can discuss the modality with your Urologist
Thanks and Regards.
Dr Patil.