What causes frequent urination post alcohol consumption?

Posted on Wed, 17 Jun 2015 in Kidney Conditions
Question: Spent two nights in last vegas drinking and not really sleeping. Been home for four days now rehydrating and exercising. Starting yesterday afternoon I have had a Constant urge to urinate for over 24 hours. No pain while going but constant and lots of clear urine coming out.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
May be from increased fluid intake, or may be from excess sugars in blood.

Detailed Answer:
When reading the history you provided, two things come to mind about an excessive amount of urine (polyuria).

Am I right to assume that the feeling of urge to urinate is always because you have a lot of urine in the bladder? In other words, not just an urge without much output when you go, but a real need to pee?

One likely cause is that you have markedly increased your fluid intake to rehydrate and so you are seeing more urinary output.

A more concerning reason for polyuria is that increased blood sugar can cause increased thirst and increased urine output. In this case, the increased urine output can even surpass the amount you are taking in, leading to dehydration. If this polyuria continues, I think you should go get a simple urinalysis done. This will check for elevated sugar in the urine (and also show if you have any signs of infection in the bladder - but your history sounds less likely for that). Most clinics, urgent cares, or doctor's offices can do this simple test. Symptoms of diabetes can come on abruptly - you don't have to have had a history of it in the past.

Caffeine and acidic juices can cause some increase in urination, but only for a limited amount of time.

There are also certain problems with the kidneys that can cause excessive urination. These are more rare, but if the polyuria continues, you should see a doctor.

If you are an otherwise healthy man, with no ongoing medical problems and on no medications, what I would suggest at this point is a brief period of fluid restriction (several hours): start to limit your intake of liquids and keep track of how much you are taking in. If you continue to produce more urine than usual, then go to the doctor.

But if you find that you are excessively thirsty and still urinating a lot, please go get your urine checked for sugar as I wrote above.

Please let me know if I can clarify or provide any further information for your concern.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Your welcome! I hope the problem has resolved.

Detailed Answer:
Has the urination decreased? I hope you are doing better today.

If you have no further concerns I can help you with you can go ahead and close the transaction and rate it.

Best regards,
Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh, MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh