What causes frequent urination despite treating UTI?
Better to change antibiotic in my opinion.
Welcome to Health Care Magic,
I have read your query and understand the concern.
Since you have already been diagnosed as Urinary tract infection by the ER doctors and as you said you had leukocytes in urine, so you are being treated for it with small course of antibiotics.
In my opinion, you have not been given appropriate antibiotic since the first choice drug for UTI is Ciprofloxacin or Levofloxacin from Quinolones group.
So for that reason you are NOT feeling better from UTI symptoms.
And also, in urinary tract infection,I generally prefer to give antibiotic in my patients for minimum 7 to 10 days full course to get rid off the infection (and also to prevent the carrier state).
Now,if you have already stopped the antibiotic,then I would suggest you not to take it for at least 2 or 3 days ahead and then you should go for routine blood counts, Renal function tests, Urine routine microbiology with culture and sensitivity testing to detect the exact causative organism of urinary infection and its sensitivity to our antibiotic (Sulfameth/Trimethoprim) , so that further treatment and proper antibiotic course can be planned.
Repeat ultrasound of KUB region can also be done with full bladder to rule out any other bladder pathology but it should be done only after physician's advice.
Meanwhile, you can take over the counter pain killers like Dicofenac 50 mg or Paracetamol 650 mg and drink plenty of water orally.
Take liquid citralka 2TSF three times daily if you have burning micturition.
Therefore,You should see a physician or urologist who will know about all the tests and can prescribe you appropriate full course antibiotic (Levofloxacin 750 mg is best and first choice drug for UTI) with other symptomatic treatment.
Hope this detailed explanation will be helpful.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What are the underlying causes for frequent urination
- What causes frequent urination at bedtime
- What is the cause of weakness and frequent urination
- What is the cause for headaches and frequent urination
- What poison causes frequent urination
- What is the cause for pressure that causes frequent urination
- What are the causes of frequent urination at night
- What is the cause and treatment for frequent urination
- What could be the cause of frequent urination
- What are the causes for frequent urination in children
- Suggest treatment for IBS while on Thyroxine
- What do white bumps on lips indicate?
- What causes a flush like feeling behind the eyes?
- Suggest treatment for sneezing along with congestion and cold head
- Is applying Onabet and Futop in vaginal area safe?
- Suggest treatment for dizziness and exhaustion
- What causes small lump on lower back?
- Is pain at the back of head relates to the heart?
- What causes itching sensation on anal area post defecation?
- Is it safe to take Plavix when on BP and diabetes medication?