What causes frequent urination despite taking antibiotics?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in General Health
Question: I was diagnosed with uti five days ago. I only had frequent urination. Dr. Said high leukocyte so and trace blood. Gave me cipro antibiotic. Still have frequent bathroom stops. I hate taking pills and if it's not helping I want to stop taking it. Was I prescribed the correct antibiotic? I also had pain and pressure in pelvic area. I was I treated properly?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
sounds like cystitis

Detailed Answer:

it sounds like cystitis. Ciprofloxacin is a potent antibiotic in most cases. Resistant pathogens can be found in patients who have used quinolones at some time during the last 3-4 months or to patients who had been hospitalized recently. Recurring urinary tract infections may also be caused by resistant bacteria.

So if you were healthy and had your first UTI, ciprofloxacin was one of the best choices. In most women it takes 24 hours for most symptoms to resolve. Since you've been taking it for 5 days without any improvement I suggest you try a urine culture (although it may be falsely negative while on antibiotics) and a urinary tract ultrasound scan. The culture will help (hopefully) to identify the causative agent. The ultrasound scan may help to identify various disorders like stones, tumors, etc which may mimic cystitis symptoms.

I hope you find my comments helpful!
You can contact me again, if you'd like any clarification or further information.

Kind Regards!
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 15 hours later
Thank you for your response. Little concerned. Stones, tumors ect. Freaking me out. I really do not know the difference between uti and cycrtis. Will it go away. How did I get this. Extremely worried. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
cystitis = a lower UTI

Detailed Answer:
You're welcome!

UTI stands for urinary tract infection. A cystitis is a lower UTI. Pyelonephritis is an upper UTI. Their main difference is fever. Pyelonephritis causes high fever with rigor. Cystitis causes the symptoms you've experienced.

Sometimes partial obstruction to the urinary tract or other disorders may cause similar symptoms. The radiological assessment is important to clarify such cases.

You shouldn't be much concerned about it. I just mentioned some rare alternatives. Lower UTI are common particularly among women. Sometimes they're related to sexual activity. In many cases the doctor cannot identify any particular reason for the UTI. Most of the times a cystitis will get better even if left untreated. Despite that treatment is indicated to avoid the annoying symptoms and to prevent further spread to the upper urinary tract (which may cause the much more serious pyelonephritis).

So in conclusion, I believe that it's time you do some tests (a urinalysis and a radiological evaluation of your urinary tract, starting with an ultrasound scan). Do not worry too much because cystitis is treatable.

Kind Regards!
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 27 minutes later
Thank you Doctor! You have been very kind to answer my crazy questions. I go from 1-10 thinking the worst. I do not smoke or drink. Have not had sex either for a very long time. So I am concerned if this is damaging my kidneys. Have an appt. tomorrow with family medicine. Will he be able to get an accurate culture since I have been on Cipro? Thanks for listening.
Brief Answer:
may be...

Detailed Answer:
Your questions are not crazy at all... Cystitis can be very bothersome and when treatments don't work, patients get anxious and worried. That's normal!

If it's just the cystitis then no damage to the kidneys is expected (unless it spreads upwards). Getting a urine culture after antibiotics can be challenging. The lab has to be informed about your treatment regimen. Sometimes such cultures are negative because the antibiotic affects bacterial growth in the lab. Be the culture positive though, then it would be as credible as a culture without antibiotics.

Kind Regards!