What causes frequent urination at night?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Fri, 6 Nov 2015 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hello i had frequent urinination especially at nigght but that has subsided is that a good sign ? However i still have intermittent pain in the prostate area my PSA Is 0.55 and free psa is 0.22 please explain these readings i am 41 black male
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Pain in prostatic area could be due to infection of prostate (Prostatitis)

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query ,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you had nocturia which has resolved with treatment and now have pain in prostate region

I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem.
1) Have you consulted any Urologist very recently and carried out basic necessary investigations to establish diagnosis?

The pain in prostate region with normal PSA value of 0.55 is strongly suspected to be due to infection of prostatitis.

Please consult qualified Urologist for clinical and digital rectal examination and get following basic tests done to confirm the diagnosis.
1) Urine routine and culture.
2) Ultrasound scanning of abdomen and pelvis
3) Repeat Serum PSA.
4) Swab test and culture of a urethral discharge obtained after Digital Rectal Examination.This will give us a sample of secretion directly from the prostate for examination and will help us to confirm the diagnosis .
5) Endoscopic Examination (Cystoscopy) if required .

In the mean while start taking antibiotics like combination of Trimethoprim and Sulfamethaxazole along with anti inflammatory medication like Diclofenac twice daily .

If you are sexually active having a sex thrice a week or masturbation thrice a week will help out to discharge the prostatic secretion and relieve pain due to congestion of prostate .

Please note that Prostatitis is a notorous disease and takes long time to get cured .Hence you will need to take medications for 6-8 weeks .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil

Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 5 minutes later
And the Free psa of 0.22 is that good .. I have not gone to the urologist yet as the symptoms have subsided in regards to frequent urination and nocturnia ..just intermittent pain on the left side of inner thigh towaeds rectum
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consult Urologist

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .

Both the values of Total PSA and FRee PSA are normal .

Consult Urologist and get the basic tests done which I have suggested earlier .This will help to confirm the diagnosis and allay your anxiety .

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 2 days later
Thank you i went to the urlogist and thr prostate was smooth it was prositias
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take antibiotic for a week .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .

Take antibiotics for a week to get it resolved completely .

Thanks and Regards,
Dr.Patil.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad