What causes frequent urination and tenderness in the lower quadrant?

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 7 Mar 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Symptoms - Frequent urination, pain on urination, urine is clear, tenderness in left lower quadrant at pubic line. Is this a bladder infection? Or UTI? Which antibiotic would be the choice?
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Probably UTI

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.

Well, these symptoms are specific for urinary infections and this is probably bladder infection. The best would be to do basic urine analysis, urinoculture and then start with antibiotic. Ciprofloxacin or nitrofurantoin are first choice, but amoxicilin can be used as well. Other possible causes include urinary stones or ovarian cysts, and if there is no improvement on antibiotic therapy, you should do pelvic ultrasound.

Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj