What causes frequent urination and sudden weight loss?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Mon, 3 Apr 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: weight loss, cloudy urine, frequent urination. Urine smells like metal? pain all over, very tired but I'. getting enough sleep.

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:

You didn't mention how long this has been going on, but regardless, I think you need to go in to be seen and have an evaluation.

In addition to an exam, a urinalysis should be done to check for infection and other abnormalities. If there is any sign of infection, it should be sent for a culture and sensitivity. A sensitivity test is where whatever is found on the culture (if the culture is positive for infection) is tested to see which antibiotics are most effective for it.

A complete blood count (CBC) should also be done (to look for infection, anemia), and a chemistry panel too.

In addition, a TSH and free thyroxine can check your thyroid function as a thyroid problem can cause weight loss and fatigue.

Do you have any ongoing health problems and are you taking any medications for these?

Are any of your medications new to you?

How much weight have you lost, and over what period of time?