What causes frequent urination and lower back pain?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Fri, 11 May 2018 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Hi,
i am urinating way more often esp during the night have lower back pain and like a flair of pain in my left lwer abdomin .
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

This sounds like it may be a urogenital problem. I recommend you go in to be seen by your doctor and if you can't get in soon, then an urgent care clinic.

Possible causes of your symptoms include a small kidney stone on the left side, or a urinary tract infection, although the latter would typically also give discomfort with urination and if an infection affected your kidneys, then typically there is nausea and low grade fever too.

Another possibility is if there is prostatic inflammation due to infection or there is enlargement.

Also, if a person is significantly constipated, sometimes these symptoms can occur.

If you are urinating more and very thirsty, then you should have your blood sugar checked for possible diabetes.

Do go in to be seen, and ask to be seen by a doctor, not a PA or NP if you go in to an urgent care clinic. They should do an exam and get a urinalysis (they can do a quick "dipstick" type to get some clues while you wait but then should send it to the lab for a full urinalysis), a CBC to look for infection, and then an X-ray (some stones can show up on a regular X-ray if they contain calcium), or an ultrasound.

I hope this information helps for getting you started. If you are willing, please let me know how you are doing after you have been evaluated.