What causes frequent urination and interrupted urination?

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Mon, 9 Feb 2015 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I'm interested in your thoughts on this.... my boyfriend (55 yrs) has had diarrhea for the last 6 months. He has had a colonoscopy (good), throat scope for acid reflux (good), DRE test (good) and blood work which his doctor said looked good - referring to his white cell count. He has other symptoms which I'm sure he doesn't mention like urges to urinate at night and interrupted flow of urine (stop & go). His doctor said he had "some blood in his stool", but "we'll watch that" (been on every checkup for the last 3 years). The doctor has put him on (at first) an antibiotic and the last two visits a different probiotics (each one stronger he said). He still has diarrhea (not a severe, but still not normal). He has another doctors appt next week. Is there another specific test we should ask for? What are your suggestions? This isn't normal and I don't think he's interested in a second opinion. I was thinking PSA blood testing but I'm really not sure where to go from here or what to ask for them to try next. He doesn't look the same - his skin tone, etc. Something is going on, but I don't know what to suggest.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Suspecting symptoms from two different conditions

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. I see two possible conditions here ma'am and so here are my suggestions:

1. The frequent urination and interruptive urination could be due to a possible enlargement of the prostate gland. I would thus recommend an ultrasound of the abdomen and pelvis with emphasis on his prostate. The condition that I am suspecting here is benign prostate hyperplasia (BPH). This is a simple condition and can be easily treated with medications.

A serum PSA is also routinely conducted when an enlargement of the prostate is observed, so I would not rule out this idea at all.

2. I would first like to ask whether the blood your boyfriend's doctor noticed in his stool was fresh or old? I ask because:

A. If it was fresh blood with normal coloured stool then the bleed is most probably from the lower gastrointestinal tract (GIT)

B. If there are no visible signs of blood in the stool but there is a significant change in the colour of the stool, mostly dark brown or blackish coloured stool. This is a sign of an upper GIT bleed. Please do clarify the same and write back to me. I can then provide you with a way forward from there.

I would also like to add, please do check his haemoglobin levels or if they have already been tested do write back to me with the value as anaemia is quite common with bleeding from the GIT.

I also hope you find my response both helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help.

Best wishes.