What causes frequent urination and heaviness in the pubic area?

Posted on Thu, 20 Jul 2017 in Women's Health
Question: Hi. I am frequently urinating, like every 30 minutes to an hour and have like a heaviness in the area of my pubic mound to my lower abdominals. This discomfort does easy after i urinate. I did do some heavy lifting recently. Could i have gotten a hernia? I'm female who was also diagnose with Pcos. ?
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
possibly UTI.

Detailed Answer:
Increased frequency of urination calls for ruling out UTI first which is the most common cause , however cystocele at 31 years of age with history of lifting weights is unlikely to manifest in a day and cause increased frequency of urine, rather it would have caused hesitancy and feeling of incomplete evacuation.
PLease get a urine culture done and rule out UTI first. the other possibility of a hernia is unlikely as the discomfort is unrelated to increase in abdominal pressure ( cough, valsalva). Other possible causes for similar presentation could be chronic cystitis, Pelvic inflammatory disease. It would be better if you can get a pelvic ultrasound as well to arrive at a conclusive diagnosis and then it can be further discussed with your physician.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Sameer Kumar

OB and GYN Specialist