What causes frequent urination and burning sensation after urination?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Mon, 19 Sep 2016 in Men's Health
Question: Im having frequent urination. Burning sensation after peeing as well. I went to clinic and was tested for stds all came back negative. Does this sound like a UTI and if so does amoxicillin take care of it.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
About UTIs

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

The way to know if this is a UTI is to give a urine specimen at an urgent care or other clinic. The specimen can be tested while you wait with a dip urinalysis, which can show if there are signs of a UTI. If it has signs of UTI, the urine should be sent for a urine culture and sensitivity. The sensitivity test involves testing different antibiotics on the cultured bacteria to see what works. This is important nowadays because there is increasing resistance of bacteria to antibiotics, so they no longer work.

Amoxicillin is not usually used to treat UTIs - it doesn't work well for it. The 3 types of antibiotics that usually work are either Trimethoprim-Sulfamethoxazole (TMP-SMX), a flouroquinalone such as Cipro or Levoquin, and Macrodantin (nitrofurantoin). So I wouldn't waste my time with amoxicillin.

Regarding whether your symptoms sound like a UTI, yes, frequent urination and burning can be signs of UTI.