Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes frequent urination and bowel movements?

Question
Frequent urination (hourly) and multiple daily (4+) bowel movements (small but solid)
Wed, 6 Jun 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please provide some more information

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using HealthcareMagic to post your health query.
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

Please let know some more information in order to understand more and be able to give accurate advices.

Since when do you have these symptoms?

Except for frequent urination do you have other symptoms like burning urination or difficulty urinating? Do you have enough urine when you urinate hourly?

Do you drink a lot of fluids since you have started having it?

What do you mean with small but solid bowel movements?- solid as a hard stool?

Have you changed anything in your diet recently? Have you added any medication? Do you take any medications for other reasons?

Looking forward to your follow up question.

Dr. Papaqako

Follow-up: What causes frequent urination and bowel movements? 2 hours later
I have had these symptoms for almost 45 days.

No difficulty urinating; the amount seems normal. It is not discolored.

I drink 1-2 cups of coffee in morning. Diet Free Coke (3-4 bottles a day) throughout the day. Some water, also.

Bowel movements are small amounts, firm in the sense that they look like small, soft sausages. No daily diarrhea.

Appetite is off and on.

Daily oral medications: multivitamin, vitamin D3 (5000 IU), calcium (600mg), fish oil (1000 mg, 300 mg Omega 3). Prescription: Escitalopram (20 mg)

Monthly Sandostatin injection.

Recently ceased HRT.

Gall bladder removed several years ago.

Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Frequent urination and constipation from caffeine intake.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the follow up question.

From the description and the information you gave me, it seems to me that you have the frequent urination from the coke you are drinking. It has caffeine and it is a substance that promotes urination. Try lowering the amount and substituting it with water and see if the frequent urination gets better. If not, then consider doing a urine analyse to rule out urinary tract infection.

The small, solid but frequent bowel movements are symptom of constipation. The bowel does not empty completely so it has to try to empty itself several times per day. Drinking water will make it better, but also focus on a diet rich in fibers with lots of fruits and vegetables. If not better after trying this, then consider seeing a local doctor so they can prescribe a stool test to check for parasites or other possible causes of stool changes. If you haven't done one, you may also need a colonoscopy to check what is going on with the bowel.

I hope this makes sense and it is helpful for you.
Let me know if you have other questions or concerns.

Dr. Papaqako

Follow-up: What causes frequent urination and bowel movements? 9 hours later
I failed to specify that I drink Caffeine-Free Diet Coke. I will add more water to my daily intake and I also will contact my current gastroenterologist. My last colonscopy was 6 months ago.

I was attempting to determine whether or not this was serious enough to contact him.

Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 22 hours later
Brief Answer:
Still same advice applies

Detailed Answer:

I am not seeing any red flags to say that you need to see a gastroenterologist at least before adding more fluids and fibers to your diet. As I said, I think the stool problem is from constipation. The urinary problem can be from dehydration.

If worse and not better after doing these, then its time to see your doctor.

Kind regards,

Dr.Papaqako