What causes frequent urination and blood in urine?
different possible causes
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic
The most common causes for urgency to urinate and blood in the urine (hematuria) would be--(1) infection of some aspect of the urinary tract. This includes the bladder, kidney, ureter, urethra, prostate
(2)a stone or other mass in the renal tract. This would normally be associated with pain
There are other causes of hematuria but the above would be considered first. If you are using any blood thinners/anticoagulants, this can also cause bleeding though not usually urgency
Diagnosis would require a urine analysis, physical examination of the abdomen and imaging eg ultrasound.
Treatment depends on the cause found.
If an infection is present then antibiotics are needed.
If there is a stone then treatment depends on the size of the stone according to the ultrasound. A small stone may pass with using a lot of fluids.
An ultrasound would also show the size of the prostate
I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What are the underlying causes for frequent urination
- What causes frequent urination at bedtime
- What is the cause of weakness and frequent urination
- What causes frequent urination with traces of blood
- What is the cause for headaches and frequent urination
- Having frequent urination with blood what could be the cause
- What are the causes of frequent urination at night
- What is the cause and treatment for frequent urination
- What could be the cause of frequent urination
- What are the causes for frequent urination in children
- Can Hydroxyzine be taken for urinary tract and bladder infections?
- What causes black colored stool?
- What causes dizziness in an elderly person post suffering a concussion?
- What does severe atrophy in a MRI report indicate?
- What causes electric shock like sensation in the arms radiating to the...
- Suggest treatment for swollen lymph nodes and fever in a child
- What does resting heart beat of 52 indicate?
- What causes diarrhea and upper right abdominal pain?
- Is Oxycodone 10/325 different from Oxycodone 114?
- Can Antabuse cause dizziness?