question-icon

What causes frequent urination and blood in urine?

Posted on Fri, 17 Mar 2017
Question: I have been experiencing the urge to urinate constantly for the past couple of days. When I do, I am spotting blood (little) and I feel like there is a muslce pull or something that hurts when I am urinating. (Not a burning sensation) what is that?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil (29 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Mostly due to infection of bladder (Cystitis) or stone in lower ureter

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query,

Constant urge to pass urine with spotting of blood is mostly due to infection of bladder (Cystitis) or due to presence of stone in lower ureter

Consult qualified Urologist for clinical examination and get following basic
tests done to confirm the diagnosis.
1) Urine routine and culture.
2) Ultrasound scanning of abdomen and pelvis

Take antibiotic like Cefexime and Nitrofurantoin twice daily along with urine alkalizer Citralka thrice daily and anti muscuranic drug like Darifenacin once daily .

Get the prescription of medicines from your family Physician.

Ensure to drink more water .

Further treatment will depend upon result of these tests and final diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist