question-icon

What causes frequent urination and blood in urine?

Posted on Mon, 18 Apr 2016
Question: This morning I woke up with an urgent need to urinate when I did it tingled and burned and there was blood in it... can I treat this myself or should I see a doctor? This is the first time that I saw blood in my urine, otherwise I have been going more frequently this week.

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan (18 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Will most probably require a doctors visit

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query wth diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. Increased urgency, frequent urination and blood in urine are all signs of either:

+Urinary tract infection (most common and in my opinion most likely)
+Sexually transmitted infection
+Renal tract abnormality

But please note ma'am, that all the above mentioned conditions require a doctors visit and most probably antibiotic coverage. So it would be best to visit a doctor and go about a urine analysis to confirm the diagnosis and allow initiation of accurate management.

I hope you find my response helpful. Please do not hesitate to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Dr. Shoaib Khan