What causes frequent urination and blood in urine when diagnosed with a UTI?

Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 30 Aug 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi. I'm a post menopausal woman no periods since 2008. I woke up this morning with frequency to urinate and nothing really comes out but blood. I have been basically sitting on the pot all day mostly blood and some clots. I'm on 80 mg of oasis a day due to my constant water retention and wondering if this is effecting my kidneys. It burns when I go and pressure and pain in groin area. My lower back has some pain as well. I am on warfarin for my mechanical aortic heart valve that was replaced last Sept. Any suggestions??
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Following advice...

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking!
I read your query and understood your concerns.

Since you are having blood coming out from urinary tract (i.e. hematuria) all the day long, you should go immediately to ER.

Hematuria is a serious condition, which may cause severe anemia and other life threatening situation. Hematuria in your case may be associated with:
- Warfarin use (especially if the INR will be above 3.5)
- Urinary tract infection

If you were my patient I would recommend to do the following exams:
- Blood work
- I.N.R
- Urinalysis
- Abdominal ultrasound

Hope this will be of help!
Wish you health!
Dr. Shehu