• question-icon

What causes frequent upper abdominal pain with a history of gastroenteritis?

Posted on Thu, 26 May 2016 in Abdominal Pain
Question: hi
I am experiencing frequent upper abdominal pain for last two days. it appears to be related with gastroenteritis. This pain has reoccurred after 20 days when i experienced it earlier. I was given injections and treated for gastroenteritis followed by medicines Like Dortis DS. The ultrasound reports have ruled out presence of GB/kidney stones. the abnormality mentioned in the report is Fatty liver.
Would like to know your views on what care do i need to take for avoiding such situation..
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please get tests done for liver and cholesterol and maintain food hygiene

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
Please find my observations below.

1. There are many causes of liver showing fatty changes
(i) Increased intake of fatty foods and alcohol
(ii) Over weight and obese patients.
(iii) Those who have fatty liver running in family members.
(iv) Any liver condition that is changing appearance of liver.
(v) Mild fatty liver can also be there in many normal people

2. You can get your liver function test and lipid profile done to know if the liver enzymes are raised and cholesterol numbers are increased. Please discuss results with your doctor and take required treatment if your tests results are higher than normal.

3. It is important to know the reason for your fatty liver. If your blood tests are normal then you do not have to take any strict measures for the fatty liver. However it is recommended that your please follow a healthy diet and lifestyle. Alcohol drinking should be regulated and fatty foods are to be avoided.

Frequent gastroenteritis can be avoided by taking healthy home cooked fresh foods. Your drinking water should be from a pure source. Please wash your hands before meals with hand wash. Avoid eating foods which might be contaminated.

Please feel free to correct any oversight in my interpretation of your problems and discuss them in detail as per your requirements.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek
Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist