• question-icon

What causes frequent tingling sensation in the hand?

Posted on Wed, 19 Jul 2017 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Hi,
My wife is having tingling sensation in her hand for last two years. Sometimes it is less sometimes it is more. We consulted doctor 2 years back and based on the test he said that there is vitamin d Deficiency and he treated her based on that. She felt some relief and continued with the medication. After 1 year she left the medicine. Again for past 2 - 3 months she is feeling same numbness and tingling sensation in her hands.
We consulted the doctor again and he suggested to go through some tests. I am attaching the reports here. Kindly give your opinion.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Reports are not attached....

Detailed Answer:

Since the previous treatment with vitamin D supplements helped her, her current symptoms may or may not be related to the same. However I will like to review her reports before making any concluding statements. There are no reports attached here. Please upload it again.

Follow up: Dr. Prasad 4 minutes later
Report is attached
Answered by Dr. Prasad 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Unable to view reports...

Detailed Answer:
I am sorry, I am unable to see any attachments here. Please check if you have uploaded reports on this page. If not, please upload again. Alternatively, mail it to YYYY@YYYY with subject as "Attn: Dr. Prasad".

Follow up: Dr. Prasad 6 minutes later
Sorry, I was not able to upload the reports through XXXXXXX Now I have uploaded it. Can you please check and advise.

Thanks
XXXX

Can you please advise. I have attached the reports.

Thanks,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Prasad 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
need further exploration...

Detailed Answer:

Apologies for the late reply.

I went through the test results. The reports revealed hypothrombocytopenia (low platelets). If she is not known to have thrombocytopenia, it needs to be further evaluted. The cause could be related to an infection or other systemic condition. And yes, it may be related to the numbness and tingling she reported.

The other reports were essentially normal. However, vitamin b12 is at borderline normal. Low vitamin B12 is also responsible for neurological symptoms.

Besides these possibilities of pinched nerve should also be considered.

In short, in my opinion she needs to be explored further to identify the cause of numbness and the cause of low platelets. I will recommend she visits a physician / neurologist and get evaluated further.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need further assistance.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Prasad 23 hours later

We visited the doctor and he advised to get Nerve Conduction Study done. Today we got the report. I am attaching the report. Can you please look into it and advise.

Thanks,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Prasad 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
suggesting carpal tunnel syndrome...

Detailed Answer:

Carpal tunnel syndrome is a condition where nerves passing under the wrist gets pinched due to tight structures. It can cause numbness, tingling, pain as well as weakness based on severity. Now, her latest nerve conduction study are suggestive of this condition - carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS).

It can be treated through physiotherapy; steroid injections as well as drugs like pregabalin. In more severe conditions the tight structures need to be released.

I will recommend you follow up with her neurologist. If necessary, she may consult an orthopedic surgeon and plan future treatment.

Do not be worried. You can follow up after discussing with her treating doctor.

Dr. Prasad