What causes frequent sneezing and ear clogging during a new house inspection in a person susceptible to allergy?

Dr. Jnikolla

Pulmonologist

Posted on Thu, 4 Oct 2018 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: I recently bought a house although it is the home inspection (due diligence) period and I have the option to back out. I have bad allergies but they have been usually under control. The last two times I've been in the house, my allergies have been fine. However, a few hours later in the day both times, I was sneezing more than usual and having clogged ears, which is not usual for me. Is this just a coincidence? Is it possible I'm having a delayed reaction to something in the house?
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

A late reaction.

Detailed Answer:

Hello!

I can understand your concern.

As you explain the history it might be a late reaction due to something.

I would recommend you to ventilate the house, take off the carpets and blankets and do a general clean up of the house.

Instead you can take an antihistamine drug such as Desloratadine tablet once before sleeping for some days.

I hope to have been helpful.

Regards and feel free to ask me again.

Dr.Jolanda, Pulmonologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Jnikolla 53 minutes later
Thank you. That does help significantly. I guess the only question is whether I back out of the deal because of this? I'm fortunate enough to have money. My main concern is that I buy this house and whatever allergy issue there is is unfixable or would cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to fix. Is that very unlikely? In the next 3 days, I do have the option to back out of the purchase. I don't think I've had this kind of environmental allergy involving clogged ears in my adult life. Still, if the issue is fixable, I want to buy the house.
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Continue discussion.

Detailed Answer:

Hi!

No I don't think it might need so much money to fix. Look for mold in the house and try to fix it.

Dr. Jolanda, Pulmonologist