• question-icon

What causes frequent night terrors?

Posted on Tue, 18 Jul 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My hubby has night terrors and wakes suddenly and violently about 2 or 3 times a week for the last 9 years. Lately it has been worse and he gets physical (hitting, kicking, screaming and thrashing) when this happens to him, I wake suddenly as well and the fear is causing me to have a rush of adrenaline and now as of last night, chest pain. Can this be causing damage to my heart?
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This could lead to sleep issues and increased risk of mental disorders.

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HCM

No this will not damage your heart but repetitive anxiety attacks in night might disturb your sleep and this could lead to problems in sleep and consequent increased risk of development of anxiety and psychiatric disorders.

If possible ask him to visit a psychiatrist or sleep specialist and get his sleep studies done. This will rule out any sleep related disturbance. With proper treatment his condition should improve.

Thanks and Take care
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist