What causes frequent nasal congestion?

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 23 May 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi doctor

My nostrils are frequently getting blocked and I am not able to breath properly especially during nights. However I am able to comfortably breath through my mouth. Is this a sign of breathlessness or just a nasal congestion. I have been having this problem past few weeks and I feel relaxed when I use octrivin nasal spray.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Rhinitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to HealthcareMagic and thanks for putting up the query
You are having rhinitis. The nasal mucosa has inflamed leading to blockage. otrivin decongestants it for a while and proves helpful.
You are probably suffering from deviation in nasal septum. Get a x-ray paranasal sinuses done and send me the report. Otrivin can be momentarily helpful but prolonged use can cause side effects.
Take a combination of levocetrizine and phenylepherine twice daily along with the nasal drops.
Follow up with the reports so that I can suggest you better.
You are always welcome with any further questions
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 10 hours later
Hello doctor

I got PNS x ray done and have attached the report.

Also, I am congenital heart defect born with single ventricle and on medical management with Ecosprine and Listril. Will using the above mentioned medication cause any reaction and are there alternatives for medicines to treat rhinitis?
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Rhinitis

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the pictures.

It seems like you're having a deviation in nasal septum with a left maxillary polyp formation.

Your heart medicines have no side effects. You can continue taking them.

For nose take a combination of levocetrizine and phenylepherine twice daily and a nasal spray twice daily for a week. The symptoms will definitely improve but the right treatment would be surgery.

Any further questions are always welcome.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee