What causes frequent nasal bleeding?

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Wed, 7 Sep 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Dear Sir,

Request your opinion on appended medical reports of my father.

My father is of age 68 years and is suffering with nose bleeding very frequent since 3 months and it never happened before. After dinner while going for Bed, the bleeding generally happens on Friday or Saturday

Seeing the fact I have admitted him in hospital in XXXXXXX “ Bhagwan XXXXXXX MEDICA superspecialty Hospital” on 1st Aug 2016 with supervision of Dr. Ambrish XXXXXXX

1)     He is not patient of high BP and while nose bleeding his BP was 140/84
2)     The BP don’t remain consistent, so doctors have recommended medicine for BP of 0.25mg.
3)     Endoscopic report is clear
4)     He was discharged from hospital on 4th Aug 2016 and on 6th Aug again bleeding from nose was noticed.
5) CT scan report is normal even.

Request your valuable opinion on the same.
Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Do not worry. This is common.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. Since hus investigations are normal, there is no cause for worry.

2.Get his nasal endoscopy done again during an episode of bleeding. After the bleeding stops, it is difficult to locate the bleeding area as the nose has a very large number of blood vessels. Keep him in the hospital for observation if required.

3. I would prefer to check the adenoid enlargement mentioned in the reports. Upload some CT images of this area.

4. Request your doctor to start him on a haemostatic agent (such as ethsmsylate) for a few days. Review his medication again.

5. Kindly let me know the progress.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj