What causes frequent mouth ulcers, coated tongue and bad taste in mouth?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My tongue gets ulcers on it,the tongue also has a coating on it an I have a odd feeling on the roof of my mouth and a bad taste in my mouth always.and,my tongue is very sensitive,to spicy foods. My husband was in the hospital in October,2015. He passed away on the 25th,2015. I noticed things starting to change with this problem around that time. Could I have picked up something from him or the hospital? Thank you XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
supportive care, aphthous ulcers

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

i read your question and i understand your concern. Frequent mouth ulcers, coated tongue may just be attributed to oral hygiene which is compromised as you mentioned. Acid reflux, gastric discomfort etc can cause that too. Stress levels as you mentioned recent husbands death can cause it too. With age , dry mouth is common complaint and that can cause aphthous ulcers too.

I would suggest just improve the oral hygiene, frequent brushing, flossing followed adequate fluids intake and avoidance of triggers like spicy foods, alcohol, beverages, soda, etc. Apply some topical anesthetic gels for the relief and use some prednisolone for a few days. it will work like charm, Consider antacids too if there is some gastric acid problem.

I hope it helps. take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan