What causes frequent hiccups and upper abdominal discomfort?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Fri, 20 Jul 2018 in General Health
Question: I’m a 55 year old healthy male. I’ve been having a series of hiccup events for the last three days, accompanied by upper abdominal discomfort. The pain seems to have moved to my esophagus area. I also experience difficulty in swallowing food and have as it has no place for the food to go...yet I’m not full.
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need endoscopy, barium swallow and gastroentrologist review

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, you need to get reviewed by a gastroenterologist and to have a Barium studies as difficulty in swallowing isn't a symptom to be ignored. A detailed throat examination and if needed gag reflex should he examined.

A baseline work up for complete blood counts and hemoglobin levels should also be done. Hickups can be due to irritation of stomach linning or diaphragm so a Xray chest and upper abdomen for any signs like gas under the diaphragm or air fluid levels should be done and if needed CT chest and abdomen may be needed. If these all are unremarkable, a baseline endoscopy may be needed.

Meanwhile antacids like omperazole can be continued alongwith Motility agents like domperidone or itapride. In severe hickups, muscle relaxants like baclofen may be needed.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your query. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T