What causes frequent heartburn?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Sat, 27 Aug 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Good day Doc! Two months ago i had recurring heartburn and piercing through my backbone. I just had an endoscopy a few days ago and the GI had some specimen biopsied. I have to wait for 3 days for the result. I'm just worried since I have a 5 year old kid and a 9month old baby. May endoscopic findings reads like this:The esophagus appears normal down to the middle third area. There where mucosal breaks with salmon pink discoloration notably occupying <50% of the lumen of the gastroesophageal junction. Biopsies where taken for hispathologic studies. The stomach was empty with good contractility and distensibility on air insuffiation. The gastric mucosa appears smooth, shiny with no mass, ulcer nor polyp noted. There where patches of erosions seen at the antral area . Biopsies where taken for rapid urease test and hispatholigic studies. The duodenum was unremarkable. Post endoscopic diagnosis: Esophagitis la garde III; Erosive gastritis, antrum. Can I still expect a normal result from this diagnosis? What are my risk of developing cancer or shall I say having cancer? I am still starting a family I don't want to leave them just yet. Hoping for your immediate reply. Thank you and best regards
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
It can be normal, it is only inflammation so far on endoscopy

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to health care magic! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all, it is sad to know what you had gone through.

Based on the history you have shared, any suspicion of cancer isn't confirmed yet and it is only inflammation, which has been seen with a suspected ulcer in stomach entrance whose biopsy was taken to rule any cancer or growth of bacteria which is usually treatable. No mass or obstruction or generalised irregularity has been noted so far. Biopsy results will be hopefully normal. Only early detection of cancer or neoplasia is the target of precautionary biopsy so that it can be treated promptly.

Meanwhile using antacids like omeperazole or pantoprazole before meals for symptomatic relief and motility agents like domperidone will help. Kindly rest assured and keep your fingers crossed for a good result.

Hope this has answered your query, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Follow up: Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 14 hours later
Thank you doc. It's just today that the pathology lab called me to let me know the result of my biopsy. My pathology report goes like this: Consistent with chronic esophagitis , non-specific. Gross and microscopic examination: The specimen consist of cream XXXXXXX tissues with an aggregate diameter of 0.3cm. Block all. What does this mean?
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is not showing any signs of cancer

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Thanks for sharing more details. This report confirms what we had expected in our last communication. It shows signs of inflammation and no sign of cancer is noted. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D