What causes frequent excruciating muscle cramps?
A muscle relaxant can help.
Thanks for posting your query.
There are different possible causes for the symptoms that you are experiencing. One of the potential causes is hypothyroidism which is a low level of thyroid hormone. This is a hormone that plays an important part in the metabolism of the body.
Hypothyroidism is commonly associated with cold intolerance and muscle spasm, the inability to tolerate cold would lead to shivering. It is diagnosed by a examination (there are certain features that are present when a person with hypothyroidism is examined) and by a blood test to assess the level of the thyroid hormone.
In addition to hypothyroidism, electrolyte imbalance (levels checked by blood tests) and excess activity can result in muscle spasms.
In addition to the physical causes of your discomfort, it is possible for physical complaints to be worsened by anxiety or stress.
Muscular spasms can be treated by (1) treating the underlying cause (2) keeping yourself well hydrated with electrolyte rich fluids like Oralyte. (3) stretching the muscles involved (4) the use of anti inflammatory medication such as ibuprofen, cataflam with meals provided there are no contraindications to their use (5) a muscle relaxant may be necessary
It may be best, if possible to visit your doctor for a thorough assessment and treatment plan.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Thank you very much for your thoughts. Your mention of hypothyroidism does make a whole lot of sense to me now. I AM always cold, and yes, we are experiencing colder temperatures this past week. I also can now be better prepared by staying hydrated with Oralyte. I will search for this tonight. I have never seen this before. However, when I've experienced cramping, I have found that drinking Pedialyte (for infants), seems to help it go away. Two nights ago I went through 14 powder packs of Pedialyte throughout those 5 cramp attacks. But then I had diarrhea, but that was way better than the painful cramps.
I will also take ibuprofen with my dinner, and find a muscle relaxer to have on hand.
And yes, you are so right, I AM under a lot of stress right now, with work responsibilities and with my mother-in-law who is being discharged from a care home and will come live with us from tomorrow.
If I am found to have hypothyroidism, are there medications I will need to take?
Any other treatment options for this condition? Is this a serious condition with other complications?
Thank you so very, very much Dr. Tayal. You are the first physician to provide me with answers to my symptoms and I truly appreciate your expertise.
Low thyroid levels can be treated.
Thanks for writing again.
If your thyroid hormone levels are low, you can start with thyroid hormone therapy after consulting your physician regarding the doses.
This is not a serious condition and can be easily treated.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes muscle cramps and spots on legs
- What causes multiple muscle cramps
- Abdominal muscle cramps causes
- What is causing severe leg and hand muscle cramps
- What causes leg muscle cramps at night
- Recurrent muscle cramps causes
- What causes severe muscle cramps with slight fever
- What causes leg muscle cramps
- Muscle cramp causes
- What causes diarrhea followed by severe muscle cramps
- Swollen legs, dark patches. Have stasis dermatitis and OCD. Will I be...
- Difficulty maintaining erection, discomfort in right testicle. Should I...
- Would anesthesia used to make a patient unconscious cause hand tremor?
- Black or brown freckles on penis, flat, no discomfort. Is this normal?
- What could red spots on hairline mean?
- Testicle swollen huge and hurts to touch. Why?
- Sudden awakening from sleep, heart racing, high blood pressure, ringing...
- What kind of cancer is it when colonoscopy shows a malignant mass in...
- Itching vagina, discharge and bleeding during sex. Maybe bacterial...
- Have hypoglycemia. Want to try HCG diet. Is it safe?