What causes frequent dizzy spells and nausea?

Question
Over the last couple of weeks, I have been having frequent dizzy spells. They are becoming more frequent and occasionally I feel slightly nauseated now. They are beginning to impact me while I'm sitting and when driving and I don't know what to do.
Wed, 23 May 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
different possible causes

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Dizziness can be due to different causes, it be only a lightheaded feeling or may be vertigo (a feeling as though the person or the environment is spinning/moving).

Common causes include conditions related to the inner ear (the inner ear plays a big role in balance), dehydration, low blood pressure, low blood sugar, side effect of medication, viral illness.

Inner ear conditions include--(1) BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo)-- this is a benign (not serious) condition where a person experiences the dizziness or vertigo with certain head positions, it lasts seconds to minutes

(2)meniere's disease- associated with hearing loss

(3)vestibular neuronitis- the episodes can go on for hours at a time

To find the cause for you, you would need to be assessed by your doctor. This would require history and examination.
A review of medication may be needed, blood pressure and blood sugar measurement would be needed.

Additional treatment would depend on the cause

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions