What causes frequent diarrhea and strong body odor?

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in General Health
Question: I have had diarrhea every 3 days for over 3 weeks and also at the times of the diarrhea also have strong body odor...any clue as to what this might be?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need more information

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

In order to come to a better conclusion I need a few more details

1. Is your diarrhea several times a day or loose stools once a day?
2. The remaining 4 days your stool is normal?
3. Is the stool foul smelling as well? Is body odour associated with the diarrhea?
4. From when have you been taking sucralfate, lansoprazole and probiotic?
5. Is it associated with pain abdomen or blood in stools?

Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply

Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 14 minutes later
Loose several times a day...normal for 3 days...stool smells as well...body odor occurs during the diarrhea...cramping as well, no blood except from hemroids
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Irritable Bowel syndrome

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for getting back

I am sorry for the short delay in my reply, I just got back from the hospital. From the history you have given me it might be that you are suffering from irritable bowel syndrome. Here is what you should do

1. Give your stool for routine and culture to rule out infective pathology
2. I would first treat you with a combination tablet like ciproflox with tinidazole for 5 to 7 days and see for improvement
3 It is important that you take sufficient dose of probiotics. I usually give tab vsl-3 once a day for 14 days. It replenishes the intestine with good bacteria
4. tab hysocine butylbromide is a good tablet to be taken for the crampy pain
5. avoid milk and milk products, caffeine and smoking

If nothing works then I recommend that you approach a gastroenterologist for a colonoscopy

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me