question-icon

What causes frequent bowel movements?

Posted on Thu, 12 May 2016
Question: For the past month I have been having frequent bowel movements every day 3/4 times. No blood, no loose movements, but a feeling of pressure and some wind.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Information about frequent bowel movements.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

Since the stool has not been loose or diarrheal/watery, this is less likely to be caused by an infection. However, given that you also have been having more flatulence, it is possible that your bowel flora has been thrown off a bit.

I have a few questions:
Did this change in number of bowel movements start after taking an antibiotic?
Have there been other changes that coincided with the bowel change, such as the start of a new medication?
Have you had more anxiety recently?
Have you been eating more this past month?

Also, when was your last colonoscopy?

You mention that you have a feeling of pressure and wind. Is this all the time or just when you need to defecate?

If there is no pain, you can try a probiotic that has lactobacillus acidophillus and bifidus in it.

But if things get worse and also if they don't get better, then you should go in to your doctor who can examine your abdomen.

I hope this information helps.
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh