What causes frequent bowel movements in a teenager?

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My 19 year old son is telling me he's feeling the need to have a bowel movement several times a day or an increase from his norm. I believe it feels like pressure to him, he said its not an ache in his stomach but more in from his bottom.
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
several causes

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question.
There are several causes for increased frequency in bowel movements. It can be due to the food that he is eating. If he has increased the fiber in his diet or has increased the amount of fresh fruits and vegetables he is eating then he may have more bowel movements.
One to three bowel movements a day is considered normal and this can change a lot based upon diet.
If he is having loose stools or diarrhea then there may be an infection going on.
Is he having pain?
How long has it been going on?
Has he been on any new medications or done any travel recently?
Please answer these questions so that I can give you more help with this problem
Dr. Robinson