• question-icon

What causes frequent bowel movements, gas, cramps and fatigue?

Posted on Tue, 24 May 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: have been experiencing some unusual frequency with bowel movements. after eating out at a brunch, 2 days ago. I began this symptom, two days ago. the day after, had no BM activity, however, on 3rd day (today) seem to have resumed a fairly regular bowel elimination. (3times since about 4AM today) have also had some gas like mild cramps with this, during the day. Have been drinking fluids. No elevated temperature(about 97.8,on average) Appetite OK but feel quite tired, especially my legs. What might be the outlook now?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possible food contamination

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

If I have your history right, after eating out, you had excessive number of stools, gas, and cramping the 1st day, no BM the second, and today was similar to the first day. And no fever but some fatigue.

Most likely this is a gastrointestinal upset from eating food that may have been contaminated with some bacteria, but as you haven't had severe pain or fevers, this will likely resolve on it's own in the next few days. It is also possible that it is a mild stomach flu (viral gastroenteritis) and this too should resolve on it's own.

I don't know what other medications you may be taking for ongoing health problems, but if it is not contraindicated, Pepto Bismol may be helpful in slowing things down and relieving cramping. It is good for dealing with gut infections too. Excess Pepto Bismol can be constipating though so only use as much as you need to slow down the number of loose stools. Also note it may make your stools look black/gray.

If this does't help, or your cramping gets worse or pain or increased number of stools, then do go in to be seen by a doctor. But as long as no fever, remarkable pain, or large fluid losses, you can probably take care at home.

If you aren't showing some signs of improving after a week, then do go in to be seen.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information or clarification.
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh