• question-icon

What causes frequent bowel movements and loose stools in the morning?

Posted on Wed, 19 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: I am a 76 year-old male in relatively good health. Lately, in the mornings, it will take 3 to 4 attempts to clear my bowels. I am not constipated.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
What is the consistency of your stool?

Detailed Answer:

This is a bit difficult to grasp. Do you mean you feel like going to stool multiple times or you have a lot of difficulties before passing stool. Also, I will like to know whether your stool is soft or hard. Have you looked at the stool: any blood or mucus?
Finally, have you been up to date with your colonoscopy screenings?

Let me hear from you and I will provide more specific and guidance on how to proceed!

Waiting>>>
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
The first time in the morning the consistency of my stool is normal - soft - with no problem passing.
However, a short time later I have another urge to defecate. At this time, the stool is more loose. I did not notice any blood.
Maybe 15 minutes after the second attempt, I will have a third urge to empty my bowels. There may have been a minor amount of mucus.
It has been 3 to 4 years since a colonoscopy and I was diagnosed with Diverticulosis at that time.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Spend a little more time during defecation!

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for this added information. There are no immediate red flags from this added information. I will suggest that you spend a little more time trying to empty the bowels completely as this seems like it takes a while to actually get all of it out.

If this fails to help, then I will suggest that we do an endoscopic exam to look into the rectum and last part of the colon.

I hope this helps. Let me know if this makes a difference.
Kind regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Chobufo Ditah