What causes frequent appearance of lump below ribcage?

Posted on Tue, 24 Dec 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I have a lump that pops up from time to time just below my ribcage on my left side the size of an egg. Started out 7 years ago more as a cramp when I was in an awkward position at work. (carpenter) Only in the last couple of years have I actually seen it bulge. Now it is more frequent and sometimes for no apparent reason. When it does pop out it is getting larger. I also now have minor pain there when doing simple things such as walking. The bulge usually goes away with relaxing after a couple of minutes. What could be the cause?
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: Lump pops up below ribcage left side,causes... Detailed Answer: Hi, I have read your medical history and what you are experiencing goes for a possible hernia. Hernia is a bulge (as you call it) which includes part of the intestines that have found an "empty space" and enter in each time there is a bowel movement. Apart intestines, according to the description of the location you did, it could be part of stomach or nearby muscles. Next, you are telling to be a carpenter. Perhaps you had any trauma in that area which got unnoticed until now. Another cause could be masses including lipoma or other types. So, as you are saying, the bulge is getting bigger (you can see it) and continue to have pain. I strongly suggest to get physically checked by your physician for further evaluation and run other tests to get treatment as soon as possible. Hope it answered to your inquiry! Feel free to ask me again if you have further questions. If you like my answer, kindly rate my answer and write a review as well. Thank you, Wish you good health. Dr.Alba
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Albana Sejdini