What causes frequent and painful urination and itchy swollen penis shaft?

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: Hello Dr. Shafi Ullah XXXXXXX Thank you for your response and care, I have taken the Doxycycline for 7 days and also a broad spectrum drugs as you have prescribed but I still have the discharge and also still have that discomfort and I still do urinate every 15 - 20 minutes as before. please doctor....I am getting scared again and I also forgot to tell you that I do have these itchy and swollen water filled on the shaft of my penis and also a sour on the tip of my penis which causes discomfort when urinating and if the swollen is been popped, it becomes a sour and takes about 3 days to dry up but also leaves a scar.....Please I need your help on this matter..... XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 24 hours later
Brief Answer:
Likely Herpes,needs work up

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back to me

Pardon the delayed reply due to bad weather and out of order network here. I am sorry the problem persists. But the incomplete history and missing the point of blisters on your genitals made me suspect some sexually transmitted disease. After no response to UTI treatment, your current status of these blisters and painful urination all point towards a herpes infection or a genital wart due to some other condition like condylomas , chancroid etc.

These symptoms are likely due to herpes involving urethral meatus thus causing frequency and painful urination symptoms.

Here is what you need to do. Get a course of antiviral for genital Herpes prophylactically. Get a blood test for HSV antibody, viral culture and PCR for the confirmation. Get all your partners tested. Get a complete STD panel assessment and rule out all the sexually transmissible causes. Latex condom protection is needed. Avoid intimacy for a while.

for the relief of the pain apply topical anesthetic gels and hydro cortisone gels for the relief.

Seek an infectious disease specialist and let them help you in this regard. An internist is also good. Who ever is available at earliest convenience. You need work up and antivirals.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and don't forget to close the discussion please.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Answered by
Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2012

Answered : 3614 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Genital herpes

doctor1 MD

The skin around my anus has turned white. I have no itching or soreness. I m 66 years old, weigh 170, am 5 8 tall. No hemorrhoid trouble. I do have...

doctor1 MD

i keep looking up painful, cloudy urination little at a time as if its acting like a bladder infection, including red sores, numbness in both legs...

doctor1 MD

My son is being seen by a doctor for infection in his foreskin and has been referred for a circumcision. My partner and I both have genital herpes...

doctor1 MD

My husband has genital herpes and was recently diagnosed with colon cancer. He received 1 treatment of chemotherapy and has run a fever everyday...

doctor1 MD

Yes, thank you. My daughter was tested ( blood) and was told she has Herpes Simplex 2. What is it, how did she get it, what do we do now?

doctor1 MD

Ok, I asked about this yesterday in the main forum. After thinking about it and being a little more clear headed, I decided to put it here in the...

doctor1 MD

2 Quetions 1 is I had been married for 22 years when Kaiser diagnosed a sore on my penis as Herpes 1. I haven t had sex with anyone else and I know...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

188 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction