What causes frequent abdominal distension with flank pain and chills?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My husband gets frequent bouts of a distended stomach, followed by severe pain and chills, he then throws up 2-3 times. This usually happens in the late night hours. sometimes his urine is orange/red
he is 66 years .

Again it has been somewhat frequent. at least every 8-10 days
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please have him go in to be seen.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

Given your husband's history of prostatic urinary obstruction, and given his symptoms, I think it is important for him to go in to be evaluated.

The pain and chills can be from an overly distended bladder. A kidney infection can cause nausea and flank pain and fever/chills although this would usually make a person feel sick throughout the day too, not just at night (most problems do get worse at night though).

It's possible his symptoms are related to his digestive system rather than his urinary tract or prostate, but given his past symptoms and the red urine, I think the urinary tract (which includes the bladder and kidneys) and prostate need to be looked into.

I advise that he go in to be seen. Urinalysis and prostate exam are the first place to start, along with a CBC, BUN, and Creatinine blood tests.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know how I can help further.