What causes freezing of the hands while having diabetes?

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Mon, 6 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My hands are always cold ,really cold (not feet at all). It started a few months ago for short period of time, but now almost always. I have always been hot me whole life.Had thyroid check ,doctor said it was good. I'm diabetic A1C under 6 (canadian) which is good. blood pressure is normal & cholesterol is good. Ive checked my sugar level when my hands are freezing but my level is good.would it be Thyroid? Diabetes?
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Neuropathy/side effects of Crestor/Invokana to consider in your case...

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern.

Being 51 years old and diabetic increase chances for neuropathy. So, a neurological examination is recommended first.

You say that you have already checked your thyroid, so it is excluded. It would be great if you could send the thyroid test reports you have done so far, so I can analyze the results myself.

Next, when I was reviewing the medications you are currently taking, I saw that you are taking Crestor, which is a statin used to treat high cholesterol levels. Its use has been associated with various side effects including those related to muscle damages. So, after neurological examination, ask your doctor about possible side effects of Crestor in order to change therapy.

I was also noted that you are taking Invokana (canagliflozin) which is an SGLT2 inhibitor helping to clear your body from excessive glucose. However, its use is also associated with side effects including cool (cold) skin as in your case although less commonly reported.
I need to know since when did you start taking Invokana? When did your hands become too cold?

Thank you.
Dr.Albana