What causes freckle on the penis?

Excellent

Pediatrician
Question
Hello! This question pertains to my son, who is 19 years old. Unfortunately I'm currently suffering from health anxiety, primarily focused on skin issues (I'm currently on an SSRI and seeing a therapist). With regard to my son, I recall that he has a very small lightly pigmented spot on the head of his penis from an early age, which I would see while I was changing his diapers and giving him baths. It resembled a very small freckle and I would point it out to his pediatrician who said it was nothing concerning. Well, fast forward about 18 years and now my anxious mind has me worrying what it looks like now that he's 19. I recently took him to a dermatologist for a skin screening, but that area was not examined. Given the location and sensitive nature of the area, I simply cannot ask him what it looks like (for all I know it could still be tiny or have disappeared). I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance that it's not extraordinarily rare to have a spot in that location. Please don't suggest taking him to the doctor to have it examined, as I simply cannot do that at this point and hearing that would make me more anxious! Thank you for your assistance and any reassurances you can provide!
Sat, 14 Apr 2018 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Proper communication is the key

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I understand your concern. Let me assure you that it is possibly just a hyperpigmented nevus and nothing concerning. I understand your apprehension and also understand the protective nature of your apprehension. I think that you should let your inhibitions subside and establish a clear communication with your son. Talk to him and express that while he was just a child you had noticed the mark and are apprehensive of its fate. Seek reassurance from him by asking him to confirm that it has not turned into something ominous. I am quite certain that he would understand and that he would clear your doubts in spite of the sensitive nature of the issue.

I would be keen to hear back from you and to learn how well the issue got resolved.

Follow-up: What causes freckle on the penis? 14 minutes later
Excellent advice, as always, Dr. Das! Thank you again immensely for being there for me!

I agree that I'll just have to "bite the bullet" and ask him about it at the right time, and just calm my nerves in the meantime! I'll let you know how it goes! It's tough to be a parent and continue to worry about your kids no matter what their age, and once they become an "adult" as he is, it's even more difficult when you lose that degree of control (so to speak) over them!

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need to be apprehensive

Detailed Answer:
I am glad to hear back from you. It is good to hear that you feel reassured. There is nothing to be apprehensive. A parent will always be a parent and will continue to care for his offsprings no matter how much they grow. This is how a parent has to grow as well, to suit the situational needs. I can assure you that it would not be a problem.

Follow-up: What causes freckle on the penis? 22 hours later
Hi Dr. Das! Just wanted to update you....I couldn't do it in person, but I texted my son (he knows I suffer from health anxiety focused on skin issues) and just said that I'm sorry to bring up a sensitive question, but I recall him having a small freckle near the tip of his penis when he was very young, and just wanted to know if it was still there or if it's grown or looks strange. His response was pretty short: "No....please stop." So I guess I understand I may have made him uncomfortable but I'm taking the answer as confirmation that either it's gone or hasn't changed. I sent a reply to him thanking him for putting up with me and just saying, as he probably knows already, just to watch for things that change, grow, bleed etc.

I guess that's all I could ask for and I should rest easy with that! Thanks again for being so kind, caring and compassionate....you have always been there to guide me, put my mind at ease, and help me out immensely!!

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can feel reassured

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the update. Had it looked something serious, he would have taken your query seriously and would have become apprehensive. The very fact that he did not bother indicates that things are fine and there is nothing to worry.

Stay relaxed. Feel free to ask me back directly if you ever have a health related query in the future.