What causes foul urine odor?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hey so Ive been having this problem that when i pee, my pee smells bad. So i took a pee test, the ones with the strips at home and it came out positive for leukocytes but negative for nitrite. And ive been drinking cranberry juice as well and no changes. What should i do? Im a female by the way.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You have UTI

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .
Foul smelling urine is mostly due to UTI .

Get your routine urine test and urine culture done to find out the organisms causing this infection and antibiotics to which they are sensitive to.

Take broad spectrum antibiotics like Cefixime along with urinary antiseptic like
Nitrofurantoin twice daily and urine alkaliser thrice daily.Later on switch on to appropriate antibiotics as per culture report.

Get the prescription of medicines from your family Physician.

Ensure to drink more water.To keep your urine dilute This will help to control dysuria.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 34 minutes later
Do i have to have a prescription to get any of them?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
These are scheduled drugs and need prescription .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .

These are scheduled drugs and available only on presccription of a qualified Dr .

You need to get it from your family physician .

Thanks and Regards.
Dr..Patil