Owl Image

What causes foul smelling urine?

Owl Image
Dr. Deepika Patil

General Surgeon

Question
hello my older daughter is experiencing a very foul urine when she urinate early in the morning ,she told me about it and this morning you can smell the stale scent in her room ,smell like a urine been kept for long time.can l please be helped.
Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Deepika Patil 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
could be urinary tract infection

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HealthcareMagic .

Foul smelling urine indicates urinary tract infection. I would suggest you to consult a general surgeon and get urine analysis done before starting with antibiotics.

Once antibiotics started urine won't show positive result. In urine routine you are likely to get more number of pus cells.

After confirming infection urine culture should be done to know which antibiotic is effective. Urine analysis takes hardly one hour. But culture takes 3 days. Till culture report comes broad spectrum antibiotics like nitrofurontoin and a alkaniser syrup may be started.

Also ask your daughter to drink more water which will prevent formation of stones in urinary system.

Hope I have answered your query . If any further queries are there I would love to help.

Dr.Deepika Patil