• question-icon

What causes foul smelling brownish discharge from the navel after injury?

Posted on Tue, 18 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Yes please. I overcleaned my deep belly button, drying it of moisture after showers with Q-tips. In doing so I made open a small area which then became infecred. I self treated with peroxide and antibiotic ointment and later with saline solution once peroxide was apparently to harsh. Blood was present in my belly button and a flap appeared giving my belly button a false bottom that is connected on my left inside belly button but could be bypassed on the right inside of belly button to reach the bottom. Brownish /blood and foul odor was present along with some discomfort. No fever . Went to clinic and was prescribed antibiotic and on follow up still bleeding and prescribed anti inflammatory antibiotic for belly button that's usually for ears. What is this flap and is it my intestine that has protruded through weakened open area inside left side of my belly button ?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely to be intestinal protrusion

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome

I appreciate your concern

Its highly unlikely that there is any intestinal protrusion or penetration. Its most probably infected granulation tissue as a result of the residual effects of the infection.

NSAIDS and antibiotics are correctly prescribed and should help resolve the lesion in a week. Local mupirocin ointment can also be used to speed up the process in addition to systemic antibiotics.

Wishing you best of health

Let me know if you have any query

Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil