question-icon

What causes foul smell from nose?

Posted on Mon, 21 Jul 2014
Question: My nose snot smells like rotten eggs what can i do
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Sinusitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query; I will try my best to help you with this problem.

Your brief history suggests that you could be suffering from sinusitis. The accumulated secretions in the nose and the paranasal sinuses get infected and emanates a foul smell.

Do not worry! With appropriate intervention this can be taken care of:

1. Drink plenty of warm water
2. Do steam inhlation 3-4 times a day
3. Use saline nasal spray as frequently as possible, to rinse the nose and clear all the thick secretions present in the nose and the sinuses.
4. You can try taking mucolytics such as ambroxol or bromhexine to thin out the secretions.

Hope with these above measures your problem will subside. Revert back to me if you have any further queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist