What causes foul odor when diagnosed with inverted papilloma?

Question
Hello. I have been diagnosed with an inverted papilloma in my left sinus cavity. The biopsy came back as benign but the MRI shows a different contrast at the rear of the mass from the front. Obviously the front was where the biopsy was taken. This mass has my left side completely blocked off but every once in a while I can get a little bit of air flow after blowing my nose and I can smell a foul odor. Should I worry about it being cancerous by the difference in contrast and foul odor?
Thu, 10 May 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
does not point to cancer

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

A foul odor is common when there is an infection or obstruction (affects normal drainage of secretions ) so this does not indicate that cancer is present.

The MRI should have a summary at the end indicating whether the radiologist assessing the report believes lesion is more likely cancerous or benign.
If possible and okay with you, can you upload the MRI report so that it assessed.

The fact that the contrast varied at the back of the lesion also does not necessarily mean that there is a cancerous lesion.
The biopsy would have been taken from the front, as you stated but normally would try to obtain tissue from different aspects of a lesion, this may have been done for you.
If you have a copy of the biopsy report, it may give an indication.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions