What causes foul odor behind the ears?

Dr. Nishad BN

Posted on Mon, 16 Apr 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello, i just wanted to ask that whenever i rub my back side of the ear.. i always feel something and whenever i smell my fingers, it smells like a very awkward and foul smell.. Can you help me with it as i always clean my ears during my bath.
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 1 hour later
It can be due to infection.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thank you for asking HCM

I have gone through your query. Your problem can be most likely due to infection (mostly bacteria like pseudomonas).
Applying antibiotic creams like Neosporin will be helpful.
I also suggest taking chewable vitamin c supplements daily which will be helpful to increase your immunity and prevent such infections.

Let me know if anything not clear.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Nishad BN 45 hours later
And can you answer 1 more thing please.. how is baldness caused?? and does excessive haircuts causes baldness?
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Androgenetic alopecia if crown and frontal balding.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome again.

Thank you for your follow up.

If your hair loss is on crown and frontal area this is due to Androgenetic alopecia(male pattern baldness). The reason for this is increased action of dihydrotestosterone (DHT) on scalp.
Hair cuts doesn't cause baldness.
For Androgenetic alopecia using minoxidil 5 percent daily twice will be helpful. This should be used for long term like 4 months to get benefit and it should be continued also.
Using capixyl gel daily and ketoconazole shampoo twice weekly also is recommended.

Let me know if anything not clear.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng