What causes forgetfulness?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
Hello Dr.
I have a weakness in remembering names sometimes, as I have in the case of uncertainty after remembering names (frequency) and often remember after seconds or minutes and start thinking about the subject repeatedly.
What is the problem and how it is treated. I suffer from high blood pressure and Cholestrol.
Posted Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Needs to be evaluated.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

I have noted your symptoms and it needs further evaluation.

Mild forgetfulness regarding names could be due to several factors such as stress, lack of sleep, vitamin B12 deficiency, thyroid disorders and lack of blood supply to brain.

In the beginning, please get vitamin B12 level and thyroid profile checked up. Also, avoid stress and ensure adequate sleep.

If the problem still persists, please get a brain MRI scan done to exclude ischemia (lack of blood flow to brain).

I assume that your blood pressure and cholesterol levels are normal.

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in

Follow-up: What causes forgetfulness? 4 hours later
Hi Dr
Thanks for your reply.
The level of Vit B12 was 282 since 8months and I start to take medicine tablet from 2 months, when I repeat test I found it 702 and I stop taking medicine .
My thyroid test ok .
During visiting Dr's they told me that I have anxiety disorder and they gaive me medicine for that but I didn't take it.
Because I want to inshore that there us no problem regarding my Braine .(physical test by neuolorgest )
Is there any indication that this is anxiety or depression rather than brain problem.
Secondly is enalapril medicine for high pressure affecting memory, she'll I start anxiety medicine .
Please advice me.
Luck of memory only on names and only for a seconds or minutes and then I remember (95%) from casese.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
A neurologist examination is needed.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back and providing more information.

You should continue taking vitamin B12 supplements for three more months.

You should also start the anti-anxiety medications advised by your doctor.

I agree that you should get evaluated by a neurologist and get a brain scan done.

Enalapril is not connected to forgetfulness.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)