What causes foot pain while suffering from spinal disc herniation?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in General Health
Question: I have a herniated disk at l5 s1. The mri shows the left nerve root being compressed. Can this cause pain in my right foot?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 14 minutes later

yes, nerve compression may cause pain and numbness in the area of nerve-distribution. The foot is usually affected with compression in this level.

Kind Regards!
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 18 minutes later
I have had two epidurals and my back seems very weak. I have another appointmemt at the spine hospital in two weeks. Is it to early to ask for a microdisectomy surgery?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
you should consult an orthopedics specialist for that

Detailed Answer:
An orthopedics specialist is the right person to discuss surgical options. The main idea is that surgical options are to be considered either when there are motor disorders (like weakness of the leg - in comparison to your other leg) or serious sensory disorders (severe non-improving pain). Most patients recover (the pain wears off) within a month.

Kind Regards!
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 12 hours later
I have an appointment in two weeks at the spine hospital. I want surgery bc i think it would improve the level of dibilitation i am in. They have nuro surgeon ands orthopedics. Which is better? What kind of dr do i talk to about tylonol 3. I am in a lot of pain here.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Neurosurgeon for invasive management

Detailed Answer:
If invasive management is decided then a neurosurgeon should take over. Otherwise an orthopedics specialist would be the right doctor .
Pain can be managed with a combination of paracetamol, NSAID and opioids.

Kind Regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana