What causes foot pain in an elderly person after playing basketball?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 26 Apr 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am a 63 year old male - 5 ft 8 inches tall and 147 lbs - very physically active - I have some pain on the top of my right foot - just in the last day or so - i play basketball once a week - noticed this pain before basketball last night - it did not affect my play - but still feel it today - no swelling - can walk ok - wonder what this is - have not experienced this before
leo
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be stress related.

Detailed Answer:
The pain on the top of the foot can be due to a stress on foot due to playing. This can be related to mild inflammation like tendonitis also. Such mild pain usually subsides with rest hot compress and a mild pain killer. In case the pain is persistent then it is best to restrict any stressful activities like running or jumping.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng