What causes foam like fecal matter and vomiting in a 3-week-old newborn?

Pediatrician
Question
Hello Doctor, Hope you remembered me, my name is XXXX.

Baby is doing good and active. Inline few observations and need your inputs.
Baby age: 3 weeks 5 days
Milk: Mother milk only
a. Foam like poop all the times
b. Vomtings at night only from last 5 days
c. baby is sneezing 5-7 times daily is this normal?
d. You said we can go for precautionary test for baby because during preganncy baby's kidney had water. What test we should go along with TSH and whihc month you will suggest.
Thu, 24 May 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The vomiting concerns me. Pls upload the fetal scan report.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking once again. Yes, I remember you. Let me try to address the issues:

a. No issues at all. No need to be concerned.
b. Not justified. Please confirm if proper burping (holding baby upright for at least 15-20 mins after each feed) is being done. Also specify how much amount of milk is vomited.
c. Fully normal in babies of this age. No need to be concerned.
d. Please upload the fetal scan report (or whichever report you are talking about) and I will guide you accordingly.

Follow-up: What causes foam like fecal matter and vomiting in a 3-week-old newborn? 26 minutes later
Thank you doc for your views.

b. Got the mistake we are doing, after every feed we are making baby sleep rather than burping. Amount of milk 10-20ml
d. Attached both reports. Tiffa scan of mother when she was in 5th month which showed water in baby's kidney and after 15 days we had Fetal echo scan. Attached both.

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thanks for the update

Detailed Answer:
b. Proper burping will ensure that the child does not vomit. No need to worry.
d. Thanks for the reports. I remember. I do not think that the follow up needs to be done so early. A DMSA and/or DTPA scan can be done at 6-8 weeks of age after confirming from the treating pediatrician.

Follow-up: What causes foam like fecal matter and vomiting in a 3-week-old newborn? 23 hours later
Thanks doc for the info. One more thing, regarding the vaccination i see difference between what government and private hospitals cover. Private hospitals are having more vaccines in the list. What do you suggest whether to go with government or private?

I am attaching both the lists.

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
A few of the non-mandatory vaccines are very important

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. I would insist you to go for the mandatory vaccines as mentioned on the govt. list. Alongside, be sure to give Rotavac, Chicken pox vaccine. The choice of the others depends entirely upon you. You are free to take your decision in this regard.

Follow-up: What causes foam like fecal matter and vomiting in a 3-week-old newborn? 28 minutes later
Ok. We see a white discharge from baby's umbilicus/belly button is this something normal?

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Is the discharge foul smelling?

Detailed Answer:
No this is not normal. Is the discharge foul smelling?

Follow-up: What causes foam like fecal matter and vomiting in a 3-week-old newborn? 17 minutes later
no smelling as of now. we observed it for 2 days and today its not there. few elders said we have to use a powder so thought of checking.

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Apply Neosporin powder

Detailed Answer:
It it is not associated with foul smell you need not worry. Nevertheless, it would be a good idea to apply Neosporin powder topically.

Follow-up: What causes foam like fecal matter and vomiting in a 3-week-old newborn? 2 hours later
So we can apply the powder morning after bath and evening i.e twice daily for a week and then once daily for 1-2 weeks topically.

Apply directly on belly button in small quantity or shall we use cotton to apply?

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Use it still needed

Detailed Answer:
Use it as long as it is needed (no discharge, no need). Apply directly on the belly button a few times a day till things are fine. No need to use cotton.

Follow-up: What causes foam like fecal matter and vomiting in a 3-week-old newborn? 22 hours later
May be i just overlooked it initially so thought of asking you. baby is releasing gas from 3rd week onward's and its about 5 times per day. Also for breast feed baby if baby does not go for poo for 2-3 days is fine, urination is happening very regularly.

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Things are fine

Detailed Answer:
For a baby of this age, it is normal to pass stool several times a day or even after each feed. Alternatively the child may pass stool once in 10 days and that is normal too. Unless the stool is hard and pellet like, you need not grow concerned. Passing flatus is also normal and nothing to be concerned about. If the child is passing urine frequently things are fine.