What causes fluttering sensation in the rectal area?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hello... For a couple of days I've felt a fluttering and movement ( almost like moving gas) inside my rectum. No pain at all .. It's like a spasm I'm guessing. I couldn't sleep last night because it kept continuing most of the night . I do have IBS. Any idea what it could be?? Thx!!!
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Difficult to tell at this time. maybe excess gas from food!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for contacting healthcare magic.

I have reviewed your information. I do not think there is any systemic or organic cause for this at this time. I think this is probably related to excess gas production which often occurs when many different food types are consumed at the same time. This normally stops as thefood gets digested and is eliminated. To me, I suggest that you do nothing and observe only. If something else like pain, diarrhea, constiptaion, etc. comes up or this gas continues being persistent, we will want to investigate further.

In all, nothing worrisome at this time though difficult to establish exact cause. Monitoring is what we need at this time for a clearer picture.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me and ask for more information and clarifications if need be.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad