Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

189 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What causes fluttering sensation and occasional cramp on ovary side with heavy clotted periods?

Answered by
Dr. Shanti Vennam


Practicing since :1989

Answered : 7399 Questions

Posted on Mon, 9 Dec 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: Im 34 and have been having fluttering sensation and occassional cramp on my right ovary side and for the past two periods extremely heavy clotted periods could you tell me what this could be? I have not had children. When i was twenty yrs old i had a laporoscopy and the dr said i had a large ovary on that side, released a few eggs at a time and that there were sone cysts but none to worry about on my ovary. could it be a rupturing cyst?
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: Sonogram and a clinical exam needed. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us. As the diagnosis of ovarian cysts was done so long ago, it remains to be seen if they are still persisting or have subsided. The cause of your current symptoms could be related to hormonal effects as well as uterine causes. I would ask you to see a specialist and get a proper evaluation. You would need a physical exam, sonogram-pelvic/trans-vaginal, complete hormonal profile, blood counts and urinalysis. Sometimes, ovulation can cause mild cramping on that side. Heavy periods are usually associated with uterine fibroids, hormonal disorders including thyroid anomalies and infections. A rupturing ovarian cyst, though can go unnoticed, causes excruciating pain and shock at times. It can be seen only in a sonogram study. Therefore, a complete evaluation would be needed to clarify the issue. Hope your query has been answered. Please feel free to contact for further clarifications. I will be happy to help. regards, Shanti.V.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Uterine fibroid

doctor1 MD

Hi, i am on prostap prior to surgery for fibroids on June 18, however the side effects i am experiencing are awful, the back pain i am experiencing is excruciating and it is making me very depressed, i am reluctant to refuse the next injection on may 6 th ss i am worried they wont continue with surgery if i don t agree to the injection. I am sceduled to have a hysterectomy.

doctor1 MD

I had a partial hysterectomy in September due to fibroids in my uterus. I had a great recovery with little down time. One month ago I started having some pain on the left side of my abdomen where I believe my ovaries are located. Tonight I had some bloody (old blood) discharge. Could this be fibroids on my ovaries now?

doctor1 MD

Is it normal or not to have being diagnosed with multiple fibroids and having excruciating pain and expelling tissue from my vagina? My cycles over the past six months have been very very painful and will come on strong and last three days, go completely off for two days and will come back on just as red and heavy as ever for at least three more days. Is this normal?

doctor1 MD

My 46 year old daughter has been diagnosed with a large (size of racquetball) uterine fibroid. She assures me it is benign. How can I be sure since she plans to wait until July to have it removed since she recently changed jobs and is awaiting new insurance coverage.

doctor1 MD

I have been having irregular menstrual bleeding for the past year. Gyn found polyp during pap. Ordered Ultrasound. Please translate this ultrasound report into human language because I don't understand any of it. Thx. EXAMINATION: Ultrasound...

doctor1 MD

Hello, I have had unusually heavy flooding during my period, and now I have cramping two days after. I had an endometrial biopsy and a transvaginal ultrasound about a year ago, to reveal a uterine fibroid that was fairly small. What could cause...

doctor1 MD

I have been bleeding constantly since my September period with clotting and severe pressure in my lower abdomen area, I am experiencing roughly 5 headaches in a 7 day period. Within the last month I am going through 2 pads in an hour, I have been...